WELCOME TO MILLENNIUM PERFORMING ARTS
We, the directors of Millennium Performing Arts, have a combined 80 years of professional experience between us. Sixty of these years have been shared with dedicated interest in educating future generations. Our professional knowledge covers all aspects of performing and management including musical theatre, ballet and contemporary dance companies, opera, TV, film, cabaret, artistic directorships and administration.
We shared a mutual belief that high-intensity training, in the manner of a conservatoire covering every aspect of performing thoroughly, would produce a complete artist. With three distinct disciplines: Singing; Acting; Dancing we created opportunities for young professionals to greatly enhance their skills in these subjects. We used our experience as teachers in the vocational training sector to refine programmes that would deliver training most effectively. Students would enhance their key discipline whilst undertaking training in the supporting skills too.
In September 1997, Millennium Performing Arts was born.
Millennium Performing Arts has always been a friendly but professionally focussed college. We run an ‘open door policy’ where students can knock on our door and, should we have the availability, have an interview immediately. We know all our students in our college personally and take a deep interest in their progression and development. We are immensely proud of the fact that our college is a positive open place where everybody just wants to get on with their task at hand.
Theatre is a tradition. We are committed to a doctrine to uphold and celebrate the best aspects of technique, ethics and etiquette while embracing the best in new developments and standards.
Our Motto: Theatre, as a profession, is a way of life.
MPA supports achievement, recognising professional levels of technical excellence and artistry whilst developing thinking as well as furthering creative achievement and personal professional growth
MPA cares about individuals through teaching advanced and complex performance activities, safely and effectively, encouraging use of the body expressively to communicate to an audience through the language of dance, music and the spoken word.
MPA embraces equality and diversity in all teaching and learning practices supporting inclusivity within the Performing Arts profession.
MPA expects our graduating artists to be committed to upholding the professional standards of the industry, including its etiquette. As articulate team players, dedicated to maintaining high-level practical skills, through the ability to fully develop, they will be foremost performers, relevant highly employable individuals, who will inspire and influence the future of the profession.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Success in Dance and Theatre begins with a creative, inspired and disciplined staff, in a progressive environment where everyone can realize their true potential. As a leading, award-winning Professional Performing Arts training provider, known for its high calibre of students and staff, we aim to offer students the opportunity to develop their talents in versatility, creativity and performance.
ETHOS: Our staff and management team nurture a creative, inspirational teaching and learning experience for every student.
ACCREDITATION AND VALIDATION
Millennium Performing Arts was accredited by the Council for Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre as a Provider of Post-16 Professional Training in Dance and Musical Theatre for a period of four years in September 2015. In their report the CDMT remarked on all aspects of the college’s work and below is an extract from the report for your information:
‘The design of the courses reflects the professional expectations of the industry, and the school is in continuous close contact with numerous professional practitioners to ensure that they remain so. There is a strong work ethic within the school, mutual respect and trust prevails between staff and students, and students develop as self-critical individual performers as well as rounded ensemble players. The school creates ample opportunities for students to realise their ambitions and succeed in their learning and training, as indeed the large majority do.
Once accepted on the course, each student is highly valued as an emerging individual performer of considerable talent and potential, given every opportunity to thrive. Students are very strongly and effectively supported to overcome any barrier to effective progress and learning they may experience or present, whether it be mild learning difficulty, injury or physical impairment, language or literacy need or, changes to personal or financial circumstances which may affect them detrimentally. The panel is satisfied that the school does all it can to try and ensure that all students on the course have sufficient opportunity to succeed in their learning at the highest possible standard.’
The BA (Hons.) in Musical Theatre at Millennium Performing Arts is validated by the University for the Creative Arts, ranked 59th in the University Tables. MPA feel that this course is supported extremely well by the university; they understand the difference in needs of a professional style training and an academic schooling; UCA are keen to help our young people to thrive in the theatre business! The UCA team who validated the course commended the College specifically on the following points:
- A clear student-centred approach that was evident through meetings with course staff and the students themselves.
- The rigour of practical training and industry engagement and professional preparation.
- The commitment to the process that MPA had demonstrated – real engagement with the project of developing the BA (Hons.) Musical Theatre course.
In May 2017 MPA College was revisited by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) as part of their Annual Monitoring Programme. The QAA monitoring team concluded that MPA were making acceptable progress in implementing the action plan from the initial Review for Specific Course Designation (RSCD). MPA’s next review is due 2018.
Providers are required to produce an on-going action plan (Format: PDF | Size: 102KB) and will undergo a partial review in 2018.
Millennium Performing Arts level 6 courses in Professional Musical Theatre and in Professional Dance are validated by Trinity College London for six years from September 2014. These qualifications are approved by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations (Ofqual)
FACILITIES & VENUES
Millennium Performing Arts
29 Thomas Street
Royal Borough of Greenwich
London SE18 6HU
MPA is located within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. We occupy a large, airy and purpose converted space (see Studio Space photos below). The building is extremely spacious. There are four very large studios and one large studio, all with sprung flooring; two large singing rooms; two large acting studios; a very large open plan common room; fitness and weights room; Power Plate room; a treatment room; a lecture room; library plus an AV room; a staff room; changing rooms with showers and six offices.
We are 3 minutes from the train and DLR station Woolwich Arsenal, within the eastern part of the Royal Borough of Greenwich
This historic and picturesque borough is an exciting adventure for people interested in English heritage; particularly military history.
Read more about this wonderful borough of London:
HISTORIC WOOLWICH ARSENAL
The Royal Borough of Greenwich is located within southeast London. It is one of only four Royal Boroughs in England. The honour was received in 2012. It is one of the river crossing points of East London – the famous Woolwich Ferry is just around the corner. It is the original home of the Arsenal F.C. and it is where the Woolwich Building Society began. For many reasons this part is still an undiscovered gem, although, with vastly improving infra structures being implemented, this is changing rapidly.
Historians, people interested in Militaria and architectural buffs have a field day in this part of Greenwich. The first Duke of Wellington’s office remains on the lovely Arsenal site, the King’s Troop have taken up residence and their premises boasts the largest parade ground in Europe. The trooping of the Colour rehearsals takes place there before the final display at Whitehall.
Transport is excellent. The town is served by the over-ground railway and the DLR, which interlinks with the underground. London City Airport is extremely close, too and of course in 2018 the Cross -Rail Link will open and travel times to all parts of London will be reduced drastically.
POLICIES, TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Academic Appeals Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 285KB)
- Admissions Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 335KB)
- Complaints Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 135KB)
- Conduct & Discipline Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 383KB)
- Equality & Diversity Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 274KB)
- Health & Safety Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 278KB)
- Information, Communication & Marketing Policy (Format: PDF | Size: 269KB)
- Learner Safeguarding Policy – (Format: PDF | Size: 335KB)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy (Format: PDF | Size: 276KB)
- UCA Student Complaints Policy (link)
- MPA Complain Flow Chart (Format: PDF | Size: 54KB)
- MPA Student Complaints Form (Format: doc | Size: 62KB)
- Access and Participation Statement (Format: PDF | Size: 532KB)
- MPA Quality Manual 2018-19 (Format: PDF | Size: 762KB)
- External Speaker Policies (Format: PDF | Size: 223KB)
Terms & Conditions
Welcome to our website. If you continue to browse and use this website, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions of use, which govern Millennium Performing Arts’ relationship with you in relation to this website. If you disagree with any part of these terms and conditions, please do not use our website.
The term ‘Millennium Performing Arts’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 29 Thomas Street, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London SE18 6HU. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.